Steps in Planning Your PEI Wedding Ceremony
1) You are already taking the right first step in identifying an experienced and professional Marriage Commissioner to officiate at your ceremony. You need to have the name of your Marriage Commissioner in order to obtain a marriage licence.
2) The next step is to make an appointment to obtain your PEI marriage license. You can get this at most Access PEI sites or at Vital Statistics offices in Charlottetown and Montague. If you let me know where you are located I can tell you the closest office. Currently the cost is $100.
Your marriage licence is valid for 90 days. I recommend you obtain your marriage licence early to allow time for any document glitches to be cleared up.
Both you and your partner will need to attend this meeting at the licensing office. You need to take along 1) your birth certificates, 2) your Health PEI card (if you are from PEI), 3) photo identification, 4) the name of your Marriage Commissioner, and 5) the $100 licence fee.
3) Following your meeting with the licencing office, give your licence documents to your Marriage Commissioner. She is responsible for completing the licence information and filing the legal documents with the marriage registry following your wedding ceremony. Your Marriage Commissioner should be knowledgeable about the legal aspects of marriage on PEI.
4) Your Marriage Commissioner should be willing to meet with you (either in person or via telephone) to discuss your thoughts and ideas for your wedding. She should explain the parts of a wedding ceremony and ensure that your personalized ceremony is both memorable and comfortable for both partners. There should be followup email, telephone, and, if requested, in-person meetings. There should be a schedule for each step of the process and times set for both the wedding and the rehearsal day.
5) At both your rehearsal and your ceremony your Marriage Commissioner should arrive promptly and be knowledgeable about the unique ceremony that has been created for you.
6) Your Marriage Commissioner should be a resource for you and able to answer any questions you have. She even may be able to recommend locations for your wedding and services you wish to contact. Enjoy your wedding, confident in the hands of an experienced, professional Marriage Commissioner.